Instructional Software. If you miss a class or otherwise fall behind, you might need to work on lab activities out of class. For activities that require special software, you'll find that any of the Mac computers installed in TH 604, TH 607, TH 513, and TH 518 (the ESL) have the necessary software, and you can access some of these computers out of class (see "Need access to the internet on campus?" below).
For labs that use My World GIS software, another strategy is to download software with its 45-day free license onto your own computer.
You can download the free trial version of My World GIS v.5.0 at http://www.pasco.com/myworld/#widget_2_slider_1. Alternatively, you can download My World GISv.4.1 (the version installed on machines in the Department of Earth & Climate Sciences student computer labs, including TH 604) at http://www.worldwatcher.northwestern.edu/myworld/myworlddownload.htm.
In addition to My World GIS, you'll need to download, uncompress, and install data sets that we use in ERTH 535, available at http://funnel.sfsu.edu/courses/erth535/MyWorldPlots/MyWorldDataPrefs.tar.gz. This is a large, compressed tar file (35MB) that takes a while to download. (It works with both versions of My World GIS, v.4.1 and v5.0.)
If you own a Mac and want to try it on your own, here's how:
- Download and install My World GIS first. (By default, it will be installed in the Applications folder, in a folder called "My World 5.0" or My World 4.1, depending on which version you download.)
- Download the dataset file (by clicking on the link above).
- Move it into the Applications > My World 5.0 (or My World 4.1) folder.
- Double-click on it. (This should unpack the contents into two subfolders, "data" and "preferences". The former should already exist, while the latter will exist if you've already run My World GIS at least once.)
- Start My World GIS. (I recommend dragging the application program onto your Dock first to create a shortcut, so you can access it easily.)
(If you're not confident about your ability to install software and downloaded files, see me for help uncompressing and installing the file in the right location.
If you own a Windows PC, downloading and installing My World GIS should be relatively straightforward, as should downloading the dataset file, but unpacking the dataset file requires third-part software (such as 7-zip) and you probably have to know how to run programs as administrator. See me for help if you need it.)