Instructions: Choose the phrase that best answers each question
1. Examine Figure 1. The bend between the Hawaiian Ridge and the Emperor Seamounts occurred about
A) 5 million years ago
B) 20 million years ago
C) 40 million years ago
D) 50 million years ago
E) 70 million years ago
2. The primary islands of the Hawaiian island chain are Kauai, Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii (see Figures 1 and 2). Which island is oldest (that is, furthest from the hot spot)?
3. Based on the age trend of islands in the Hawaiian chain (Figure 2), which volcano on the big island of Hawaii would you expect to be youngest (Figure 3)?
C) Mauna Kea
D) Mauna Loa
4. 1 km = 0.6 miles. The distance between the Civic Center station and the Embarcadero station is 1.4 miles. In kilometers (km), this is
A) 0.4 km
B) 0.8 km
C) 2.3 km
D) 4.6 km
5. The mayor left the Civic Center station at 7:40 and arrived at the Embarcadero station at 8:00. What was the mayor's average rate of speed over this 1.4 mile stretch (in miles/hr)? Hint: 20 minutes = 1/3 hour.
A) 1.0 miles/hr
B) 2.4 miles/hr
C) 3.6 miles/hr
D) 4.2 miles/hr
E) 5.4 miles/hr
Instructions: Write short answers for the following questions. Answers will be graded credit / no credit; results will be available several days after the exercise due date.
1. Describe the orientation of the Hawaiian Islands, Hawaiian Ridge, and Emperor Seamount chain (Figure 1). That is, what is the trend (direction) of the chain of islands and seamounts, and is the chain one straight line?
2. If you look at a detailed map of Hawaii (Figure 3), you will see that the islands northwest of the big island of Hawaii are smaller in size (for example, Kauai). Explain why this is so (see Figure 2 explanation).
3. Based on the age of volcanoes in the Hawaiian island chain, what direction is the Pacific plate moving? Explain your answer. If you are having trouble with this, look at Figure 3.22 in the textbook.
4. Go to the Loihi web site (link in Figure 4 caption) and look at the bathmetric map of this growing volcano. What is the approximate waterdepth of the top of Loihi? Do you think it will become an island above water in your lifetime (a new vacation opportunity!)?
5. In question 5 (real-time questions) you calculated the average speed of "da mayor". What was the average speed of the Muni street car over this 1.4 mile distance? The street car left Civic Center station at 7:40 and arrived at the Embarcadero station at 7:48.